Firewalls provide protection against outside attackers by shielding your computer or network from malicious or unnecessary Internet traffic. Firewalls can be configured to block data from certain locations while allowing the relevant and necessary data through. Firewalls also are used to compartmentalize internal systems with HIPPAA, PCI and other Level 1 data from systems that may not have the same level of sensitivity and/or security requirements.
ITSO offers firewall management and design for the University community to ensure firewalls are deployed according to industry standards and best practices. The Firewall Management service is available to KU system administrators, faculty and staff.
ITSO provides multiple capabilities within this general service offering that include:
- Initial consultation prior to implementation
- Ongoing firewall tuning and performance optimization
- Business hours rule creation and modification and emergency on-call as needed
Features and Benefits
- Offers a security layer between the internet and internal servers and other network resources and computers and devices
- Provides integrity and authorization for network connections inbound to and outbound from the University infrastructure
- Able to prevent unauthorized remote connections and allow those desired
All firewall systems are monitored 24/7 for performance and component failures. Networking personnel are alerted to failures and will respond to alerts. Contact the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 for assistance.